The Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter, or CPCU designation, is the biggest and best recognized designation in the Property Casualty Insurance industry. Whether you just start in the industry or you have 20 years of experience but feel stuck in your current role CPCU can make a huge difference in your ability to grow your career.
1. Gain the knowledge you need to truly understand the overall Property Casualty Insurance Industry at a high level.
2. Get access to membership in the CPCU Society both Locally and Nationally which will open up amazing networking opportunities with the leaders of our industry.
3. Only 4% of our industry has achieved the CPCU, so it immediately puts you in the top echelon of the industry when it comes to education.
4. It opens the door to promotions and new positions. Getting the interview for better positions becomes much easier with the highly respected CPCU letters next to your name.
5. The average CPCU is 54 years old. With so many retirements happening in our industry, young CPCUs are in very high demand.
6. Many of the local CPCU Society chapters are always looking for young talent for their board of directors giving you lots of opportunity to gain experience in a leadership role.
7. At around $4,000 for the whole program, it’s much less costly than an MBA making the program an absolute steal. The cost is kept low by virtue of the delivery method being self-study instead of classroom style learning.
8. Chances are your company will pay 100% of the cost of the program, pay for the trip to the Annual Meeting, and some even give bonuses for each test passed and/or when completing the program. Some companies like Liberty Mutual even give you 10% of your salary for finishing the program. You can make CPCU into a part time job and get benefits both short term and long term.
9. It shows a real commitment to the industry which makes companies much more likely to take a risk on you and offer you a stretch assignment.
10. The average CPCU makes 29% more than non-CPCUs with the same job title.
There are simply too many reasons, and no downsides to doing your CPCU. Sure it’s hard work but it pays off in spades by giving you the knowledge, connections and recognition you need to grow your career to a much better place.