Wallpaper has a notable history; featured typically as background for other more decorative or highly featured objects. There are some notable exceptions such 19th-century French scenic papers and Chinese hand-painted papers. But it is safe to say that the overall decorative effect, enhanced by the thoughtful selection of wallpaper and the effects achieved by its novel installation.
William Morris recognized the importance of wallpaper when he advised in one of his lectures;
“‘Whatever you have in your rooms think first of the walls for they are that which makes your house and home, and if you do not make some sacrifices in their favor you will find your chambers have a kind of makeshift, lodging-house look about them… “
In today’s modern home the creative application of wallpaper is the best way to keep things from looking too much like your grandmother’s home.
Here’s my list of 6 unique ways to use wallpaper in a modern home:
1. Select contemporary patterns that reflect the graphic images appealing to you and your family. Graphic design, street art and fashion offer great sources for inspiration and many young wallpaper companies offer patterns inspired from these sources.
2. Commit to the pattern and use it on all four walls for a strong, confident effect.
3. Consider the “fifth wall” and select a pattern or texture that will enhance the ceiling as well as the overall effect of the room. Maps, murals and non-directional prints can be very effective on a ceiling when woven into the general theme of the room.
4. Select brightly colored, exuberant or interesting patterns and line the interior walls of closets with these selections. Possibly too bold for the walls of an entire room you might enjoy the surprise pop of color and pattern when you open a closet door.
5. Pick smaller patterns and line the interior of furniture pieces (armoires, dressers or cabinets) for a stylish surprise in any room of the house.
6. With lots of practice applying wallpaper you can apply paper directly to the exterior of old furniture pieces to make unique, customized creations. Combine prints and patterns, mix colors and textures and let your imagination run free as you find great ways to use left-over papers or scraps you might otherwise throw away.
Organize your design ideas around clear concepts and solid ideas. Don’t hesitate to add a layer of color and pattern with the use of a beautiful, hand-printed wallpaper. It is smart design decision.