If you are reading this article, then you are probably looking for more information about painting bathroom tiles. When the tiles in your bathroom look boring, dull, or out of date, you might feel an urge to replace them. But installing new tiles in your bathroom can be an expensive and time consuming task.
So painting over tile is the easiest and most affordable way to give your bathroom a fresh look. What makes this different from painting other materials is that you first need to prepare the surface so that the paint will adhere to it without flaking off.
1. If there are any problems, such as cracking tiles or crumbling grout, they need to be repaired before you start to paint your bathroom tiles.
2. Next, you will need to prepare the surface to be painted , and this requires cleaning the tiles. Start by cleaning off any grime, dirt and soap scum that may be left on the tile surface.
You can use a tile and grout cleansing solution, or some other commercial cleaning product. Then use a non-abrasive scrubbing pad. Wipe it all over the tiles to remove the debris.
3. You may also find that the tiles will have patches of calcium residue. If this is the case then you will also need to use a calcium deposit remover.
4. Sanding is also important before you paint bathroom tile, as this will ensure that the applied paint adheres well to the surface. A 220 grit sandpaper is recommended, to achieve the best finish. It is coarse enough to remove the surface gloss, but not so coarse as to leave scratches that may show through your paint .
A hand held orbital sander is a good tool to use make the sanding job easier. For safety, you should wear a mask and eye protection. When finished, wipe off the surface to remove the dust.
5. The next step in the process of painting ceramic tile is the application of primer. This is done to seal the surface, and lay down a good base for the paint . It is recommended that you use a high quality oil based primer on the tiles. Start applying it at the corners. Paint each tile individually, using vertical strokes.
6. It will usually take around 24 hours for it to dry. Then you can apply a second coat of primer.
7. For your top coat, you need to select a high quality oil based paint . Choose paints that are suitable for the bathroom and kitchen, as these paints are made to resist moisture and prevent growth of mold and mildew. Although oil based paints take longer to apply, and have a longer drying time, the finish of this paint is of the highest quality, and it will last for a long time.
When painting bathroom tiles, instead of using one heavy coat, it is recommended that you use a number of thin coats. Apply each coat after the previous coat has dried. When you have finished painting your bathroom tiles, then the bathroom will have a new lease on life, and that will last for years to come.