Heavy equipment operator training is offered by many colleges and private institutions. This provides quality training and includes the evolving industry needs regarding safety, government regulations and also the operator’s responsibilities. The aim is in developing a professional who is trained and can work effectively and safely.
Most centers provide the following types of training:
- Heavy construction foundation and Road builder for 4 weeks
- Heavy equipment operator 5 weeks (for a technician)
- Machine operator training requires 1-8 weeks and this is based on the machine
- Instruction time is 10 to 17 weeks.
On completion students will be given a certificate for each Foundation and Technician, specialty certificate for machines as well. the graduates will acquire skills as hands on setting and knowledge in the classroom so that they can enter any industry equipped with good understanding.
Colleges teaching heavy equipment operation and offers safety training include courses in heavy equipment training such as Bulldozer, Grader, Excavator, Backhoe, Transport Truck and lots more. The classes are offered in small sizes so that each one receives perfect attention under expert instructor’s guidance.
The operators operating heavy equipments are in high demand and the training centers offer approved programs that are industry developed. Such programs are of great use as they keep with the workforce demands. The classroom practical skills and theory offer a balance and as it is industry supported the value is more mainly because:
- The industry advisory help as per the industry needs in updating the curriculum
- The guest speakers are from the related industry and the field trips are given to the same industry so that the students get to know the employers and the working conditions.
- The industry also gets employees who are qualified operators.
The instructors teaching here have varied industry experiences to share to their students and the classroom instruction is more interesting as they impart knowledge with real life situations. The Heavy Equipment program for operators ensures entry-level operators become professionals in 12 week program. The equipments that students receive hands on training include the compactor, skid steer, grader, dozer, loader and excavator.
In the 12 week program, students develop industry related skills. This offers strong foundation relating to safety while operating heavy equipment, teaches preventative maintenance and high levels of productivity. Students receive face to face instruction and there are regular assignments.
The operator’s important attributes should include excellent vision mathematical ability and physical coordination of high degree, besides:
- Full body motion with repetitive motions and particularly the upper body use
- Manual and finger agility besides foot, hand and eye coordination
- Preparedness to sit for extensive time on bouncing or vibratory machinery
- Good physical condition, physical labor required to handle moderate or occasionally heavy things
- Corrected vision and normal range hearing
- Occasional lifting items up to 22.5 kg or 50 lbs
- Good written and oral communication skills.