A Guide to Opening a Restaurant in Mexico

Authorization of the name of your restaurant

Choose 3 names for your business. Submit them with the Mexican Foreign Affairs Office.

Out of the three, the name that does not exist elsewhere, will receive an authorization for using it. It takes not more than 2 days to complete this process.

Incorporation of your business

Once you have an authorized name for your establishment, you should decide upon its business structure.

There are numerous options for you like Corporation, Persons Corporation, etc. Your restaurant will be taxed according to the business structure you choose for it. Hence, you should read the tax implications for every business structure before selecting one for your establishment.

For the incorporation of your restaurant, there will be an incorporation deed. The deed will disclose the business structure and other important details of your venture.

Now, you should choose a notary public (Notario Público or Corredor Público), who will notarize it at the Mexican Department of Treasury. You should also collect your Tax registration number from the department.

Registration of the deed of incorporation

After notarization, you need to register the deed at the Public Registry of Commerce (Registro Público De Commercio) of the locality where your business is situated.

Registration of the deed takes about 17 days.

Registration with IMSS and INFONAVIT

For the benefit of your employees, you have to register with a social security institute, which is known as Instituto Mexicano del Seguro Social. This institute is responsible for ensuring social security, pension, and good health of the employees.

You will also have to register with Instituto del Fondo Nacional de la Vivienda para los Trabajadores (INFONAVIT). INFONAVIT monetarily helps employees buy homes. As an employer, you will have to contribute a certain percentage towards it.

These two registrations will not cost you anything and take 1-2 days to be over.

Informing the Delegación

Before opening your restaurant, you will have to inform the local Delegación.

Prepare a notice that mentions your aim to start a business in the area. The notice should include your tax registration number.

Registration with the tax administration

As an entrepreneur in Mexico, you will be required to pay payroll tax. For this, you will have to register your venture with Secretaria de Finanzes Gobierno del Distrito Federal.

You will need to furnish the tax registration number and the postal code of your restaurant.

Informing the National Institute of Statistics, Geography and Information

As a business owner, it is your responsibility to notify the Instituto Nacional de Estadistica, Geografia e Informática.

The notice that you will prepare for this matter should mention the type of your venture, its name, number of employees, etc.

This step will not take more than a day.

Registration with the National Business Information Registry

Every new business has to register itself with Sistema de Information Empresarial. The costs differ with each type of business. Hence, you will have to check the cost for running a restaurant.