Those of you already have a home security system INSTALLED may be looking to beef up your security level even more by installing laminated glass in your windows. Laminated glass is also referred to as security glass and is designed to keep burglars from breaking into houses through windows. It is much harder to break than is regular glass, which is why it is so attractive for people who want to take their home security system to the next level.
As with any security component, there are advantages and disadvantages to installing laminated glass. Before you make the decision to replace all your regular glass windows with security glass, be sure to consider these pros and cons to ensure you are making the right decision for your needs.
• Security. This is the biggest reason why people want to install laminated glass. It is simply harder to break and therefore more secure.
• Safety. In the event that a child in your home throws something that hits your window, it is less likely to break. Therefore, the child is safer.
• Sound reduction. Laminated glass does not allow as much sound to get through as does regular glass, meaning your home will be quieter because there will be fewer outside sounds getting through.
• Protection from adverse weather conditions. People who live in areas that are prone to hurricanes or tornados can rest assured that the laminated glass will be less susceptible to wind and hail.
• Durability. Laminated windows will need to be replaced less often than regular glass windows. It simply lasts longer.
• Expense. Laminated windows are quite a bit more expensive than regular windows. This is because they require a lot more steps during the manufacturing process and because they have several layers of material. You might only be able to replace one or two windows at a time, gradually replacing all of them over time due to how much they cost.
• Not a whole lot of manufactures exist. This not only drives the cost of laminated windows up, but also limits your choices. In addition, you might have to wait a few weeks before your windows are made, which can leave you vulnerable at the time.
There are many good reasons for installing laminated windows, including the fact that your home security system will be more effective as a result. However, there are a few disadvantages that you need to consider before spending your money on this expensive product.