A central air conditioning system offers many advantages over conventional air conditioning systems. Undoubtedly, central air is one of the most effective and efficient ways to circulate cool air throughout the house in comparison to window air conditioning systems. However, central AC systems offer one major benefit that individual window units can not claim: these systems can improve your indoor air quality.
Centralized units send cool air directly through air ducts or vents located in each room. Each room can be cooled instead of cooling just one room. Ambient air is rolled into the air handler unit from each room through return-air ducts. The system filters the air that passes through it, removing airborne particles, like lint, and allergens, like dust, pollen and pet dander. Filtered air is then re-routed back to the rooms via a separate ductwork system. These systems can even trap the most microscopic pollutants. Obviously, more expensive filters can capture more pollutants and increase the air quality in the home.
But the advantages do not end there. The following are other advantages that central air conditioners have over window air conditioning systems.
- Central air conditioners make less noise. The condenser, fan and compressor are located in an outdoor unit, instead of in a near window. Indoor noise is barely detectable.
- Since the working parts are located outside of the home, it is inconspicuous and does not affect the view from outside or within the home. No ugly boxes!
- The system does not take up any inside space and keeps the home looking modern and updated.
- They are easy to operate. Whether there is a single zone or multiple zones, the system is conveniently controlled by a simple console that can be programmed to run at certain times and temperatures.
- It is possible for specialized central air conditioners to operate in a reversed cycle (aka – Heat Pump), to not only cool air, but also pump out hot air. The same system can heat and cool the home in one user-friendly unit.
The upfront costs of central air conditioners may be intimidating, but in the end, the payoff is worth the expense. These systems provide homeowners with many years of comfort. And as a major bonus, central air conditioners add value to the home, which means when it comes to resale, the central air system will be a positive selling feature.