Anna Maria Island has been a favorite Florida beach vacation spot more than a hundred years. Although the fun in the sun is usually all about the beach daze, watching the sun settle in for the night can be a magical experience.
Here are some of the best places to watch sunset on AMI:
1. Bean Point: Bean Point is located on the northern-most point of the island and named in honor of the earliest setter of Anna Maria Island George Bean. Bean Point has breathtaking views in every direction. To the east is Tampa Bay and the west is the Gulf of Mexico and above is a big beautiful sky filled with clouds that illuminate in blues and pinks in reds as the sun settles into the sea.
2. Coquina Beach: On the southern tip of AMI is Coquina Beach Park. With ample parking and massive beaches, Coquina is a great place to see sunset as the water’s expressive blues and greens are especially visible from the beach.
3. Sunset Sail: Experience sunset like never before from a sailboat. At sea, the setting sun’s reflection is shown across all of the sky and the surrounding waters. Spice Charter Sailing and Anna Maria Sailing and Boat Rentals are two well experienced charters.
4. Cortez Beach: There are no longer any piers on the Gulf side of Anna Maria Island. However, there are three erosion groins lining Cortez Beach on the southern portion of the island. While these groins are not for walking or sitting on, they do attract a many pelicans and seagulls, which are especially majestic in flight in front of the setting sun.
5. Sandbar/BeachHouse: If you prefer to enjoy the close of the day with a drink in your hand, there are a couple of great options. Sister restaurants Sandbar and BeachHouse both have great sunset drink specials and optimum sitting areas for watching the final moments of daylight.
6. Manatee County Beach: For the most traditional beach experience, Manatee County Beach is it. Parking is located at the intersection of Gulf Dr. and US Hwy 64. Manatee County Beach is the most heavily trafficked location on the beach, and the best place to watch sunset and people watch at the same time.
7. Near Love Ones: There’s really no bad place to see sunset on Anna Maria Island once you’ve made it to the beach. Enjoying a sunset to the fullest is often more about who you’re with than where your’re at. So be sure to bring your share your AMI sunset with your loved one.
Click here for more information on Anna Maria Island deals, hotels, restaurants and activities.