Everyone who’s aware of this gadget would love to own a unit of AR Drone. Costing over three hundred dollars, you could say that this is one expensive toy that you would want to maintain. Since it consists of a number of components, you could expect some of the parts to break at one point. When this happens, you can replace the parts that are available online to retain it in its working form. You can also replace the parts to customize the toy aesthetically to make it look more unique that would suit your creative taste.
Basically, all the AR Drone parts can be replaced. Therefore, you need to know all the components of the gadget and know what it does so that if problems arise, you would kow which parts to replace or to fix.
Listed below are the parts that make up the AR Drone:
• Body Set + Frontal Camera – We could consider this the main chasis of the toy where you will attach all the other important parts. It’s made of lightweight and resistant plastic. This component contains the frontal camera as well as the battery holder.
• Parrot Mainboard +V Vertical Camera – This is probably the most important part of the gadget. This contains the CPU and all electronic components that will make the AR Drone work. It has the WiFi features, a video compressor, a USB port, the stabilizing component and everything else that makes the whole toy cool.
• Navigation Board – The navigation board is what makes the AR Drone stable during flight. It contains sensors, ultrasonic tranceivers, accelerometers, gyroscopes and an inertial measurement unit.
• Parrot Battery – The battery is a three-cell Litium Plymer battery. It includes a Protection Circuit Module that prevents the battery from over charging, over discharging and short circuits.
• Parrot Motor – This 15 Watt motor is specifically designed for the AR Drone. Each motor completes 28,000 RPM when hovering which is converted to 3,300 RPM on the propeller.
• Parrot Central Cross – The central structure of the AR Drone made of a PA 66 high grade plastic, 4 carbon fiber tubes and 4 PA 66 plastic motor mount. The central cross contains two sire beams. One to bring power to the engines and one to control the motors.
• Parrot Gears and Shafts – Obviously, these parts are used to link the motors to the propellers.
• Parrot Propellers – These are designed specifically for the AR Drone f0r more efficient and optimized power consumption. When you purchase spare propellers, you will get two sets of two propellers that are meant to spin in opposite directions. Two of the propellers are marked as “C” for clockwise; the other two are marked as “A” for anti-clockwise.
• Parrot Outdoor Hull – The outdoor hull is made of EPP or Expanded Polupropylene, a light but sturdy material. This is attached to the body by magnets. This is used or added to the AR Drone to reduce wind resistance when playing outdoors. It’s available in different colors and the colors can be detected by the frontal camera so if you are playing multi player games, it would be easier to identify the other units.
• Parrot Indoor Hull – It is more of a protection for the propellers of the AR Drone. You wouldn’t want to hit yourself with spinning propellers when playing indoors do you? It also protects the drone from damaging itself when you hit walls, furniture and other things inside the house. The colors of the hulls are also detected by the camera for the purpose of multi player games.
There are accessories that you might need as well when owning this gadget. These accessories are vital to its maintenance and repair:
• Parrot Charger + Power Supply + Plugs – Obviously, this is for the charging and the recharging of the Parrot Batteries.
• Parrot Mounting Tools – This kit contains all the tools that you will need to fix, repair and maintain your AR Drone. All items included in the kit are meant to fit all the parts of the gadget that would need screwing, tightening, loosening and tuning.