Any object would usually need a certain kind of protection, like a coating, to lengthen its life span. A coating could also enhance its physical appearance and other properties, such as resistance to wear, corrosion, scratch and a lot more. It can be applied to many different types of surfaces, may there be solids, liquids and gases too.
Coatings come in different types. They can be optical coatings, ceramic coatings, or spray coatings. They all have a particular set of characteristics and purposes that is unique to each of them.
What are ceramic coatings?
Ceramic coatings are used to cover the surface of a certain kind of object to provide protection. They are usually made of nitrides, silicides, borides and carbides. They are formed during sputtering when hydrocarbon, nitrogen and silicide is introduced in the process. They are often available in the form of TiCN, TiAlN, CrN and TiN.
Ceramic coatings are known to be good agents in oxidation resistance. This characteristic can still be improved further by adding elements like vanadium, chromium, aluminum and yttrium. The addition of nanocomposite coatings and multilayer coatings could also do the job.
What are the functions of coatings?
To help you understand how coatings provide protection to objects, here is a list of some of its more specific purposes.
1. Coatings can be used to give materials self-adhesive properties that are useful in labeling, taping and packaging.
2. They have low energy present on their surfaces, therefore enabling objects to have non-stick surfaces.
3. They can enhance an object's color, tint, anti-reflection, holographics and other optical properties.
4. They can make an object water proof or water resistant.
5. They can alter an object's electronic and magnetic properties.
6. They can provide the needed level of photo sensitivity, just like what is required in photographic paper and films.
Coating methods and processes can be categorized into: physical vapor deposition, chemical vapor deposition, spraying, chemical and electrochemical techniques, roll-to-roll coatings, optical coatings, ceramic coatings and many more. Each of these categories includes a wide range of sub-processes that require different types of devices, materials, machineries, skills and expertise.
So, whether you are going for ceramic coatings, aluminum coatings or any other type of coatings, it is advisable to look for a company or an individual that is knowledgeable enough on this matter so that you would get the results that you desire and expect.