Gone are the days of the standard flat white ceiling. Today's homeowners are realizing that their ceiling paint color can add interest and needs to be considered when choosing the perfect paint colors for their space. However, painting ceilings anything other than white can be tricky. Below are some tips to help homeowners choose the perfect shade every time:
* Consider lighter or cooler colors for lower ceilings – if you have eight foot ceilings, chances are your space is already feeling a little cramped and the ceiling is already feeling low. A darker or warmer shade will only accentuate a low ceiling and can make the space feel cave like. Consider paint colors that are lighter, like an off whites and creams.
* Color paint colors will also help raise the ceiling and make it feel like its moving away from you. Choose a cooler off white, that has blue or green undertones.
* Consider painting the ceiling one to two shades lighter than the wall color. This is particularly useful if you have crown molding. A bright white crown molding in semi-gloss will pop if the ceiling is painted a slightly lighter shade than the wall color.
* If the ceilings are really high, as is the case in many two story family rooms and entryways these days, consider painting the ceiling a darker, warmer color. This will help bring the ceiling in a bit and will make the space feel less stark and cold. A dark chocolate on a two story ceiling can have an amazing impact on a room.
* For vaulted ceilings, consider bringing the paint color up the side ceilings and painting the top ceiling a darker or lighter shade of the wall color. Again, this can accentuate the architectural detail while avoiding the look of uneven paint lines.
* Always paint around and under soffits and low vaulted ceilings (ie sunrooms and bay windows) the same color as the walls. When these are painted the ceiling color, white or otherwise, it causes a break in the eye. Painting these areas the same color as the walls will cause continuity and flow, which is the essence of any good paint color scheme.
It is important to consider your ceiling paint color when choosing a color scheme for your home. This way you will be sure to get a perfect color scheme that is congruent with your personal style and the architecture of your home.