Painting your house is the most cost-effective remodeling you can do, and it's a great time to consider doing so now.
When you get quotes from a number of painters, consider these factors when you choose among them:
- Make sure the quotation clearly outlines what areas are being painted, the preparation process, and the materials to be used, and gives a firm price for the work. While issues can be discovered after work begins that may affect the price, the initial quote should give a reasonably confident price for the work, and a good amount of detail on all the steps of the process.
- Make sure that preparation of the surface to be painted is taken seriously. With poor preparation, painting will not give good results.
- The quotes should all list the type of paint to be used, and the number of coats to be given. If one firm intends to use a lower quality paint that another, or to use fewer coats, then the numbers will not be comparable.
- In looking at the materials to be used, make sure that specific brands are given. "Paint" just does not give you enough information.
- While there are many factors that can affect price – differences in overhead, for example, or seasonal variations – the truth is that a very low price can often be a warning of poor workmanship or cutting corners. A job as big and as visible as housepainting is not the place for false economy.
- Do not even consider a painter who does not have the proper licensing and insurance. In Australia, look for painters with Master Painter certification. Your painter must have public liability insurance and be registered with the Department of Fair Trading. By law, customer and contractor must enter into a written contract with contractors being required to also provide warranty insurance for work over $ 12,000 – your job will have OH & S obligations and may also have EPA implications which need to be discussed with the painter and / or corresponding state government department. Non-compliance will jeopardize your rectification rights.
Michael Peters of Sydney Master Painters "Courtney and Wise, Pty" told us, "Remember, if it's not in writing, it's just a maybe." No matter what verbal guarantees you receive, be sure to compare quotes carefully to make sure that you're comparing apples with apples.