Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub

Dead sea salt has many benefits for the body, including exfoliating, moisturizing, revitalizing and cleansing. Salt gathered from the Dead Sea makes an excellent body scrub because of its high mineral content, which is much higher than normal sea salt. In fact, Dead Sea salt contains magnesium, potassium and calcium, all of which work to repair, heal and hydrate the skin. Using this salt in a body scrub will yield almost miraculous results on sufferers of dry skin, psoriasis, acne, wrinkles and aging skin.

Scientific research has proven that bathing in a mixture made from Dead Sea salts reduces dry skin, inflammation and redness, and in some cases, completely clears up psoriasis when used on a regular basis. Using a Dead Sea salt body scrub intensifies these benefits and may provide results even sooner. One study, published in the International Journal of Dermatology, found that individuals with dry skin experienced gradual improvement over six weeks of treatments. Another study, published later in the same journal, found that 70 percent of patients suffering from psoriasis experienced completely cleared skin after only three weeks of treatments, while the other 30 percent saw marked improvement as well.



Making Your Own Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub

The best way to experience the benefits of Dead Sea salt for yourself is to make a body scrub at home. Purchase high-quality salts from a reputable supplier for the best results. You can usually find the salts online at reasonable prices or if you live near the area, you may be able to source them locally. Once you have your salts in hand, its time to move on to the fun part – making your own body scrub. Follow the basic recipe below, which can be customized to suit your tastes and skin type.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup Dead Sea salt
  • 1/2 cup olive oil or other high-quality vegetable oil
  • 10 to 15 drops essential oil of choice

Directions:

  1. Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
  2. To use, massage the mixture into the skin over the whole body, using your fingertips and moving in a circular motion.
  3. Wait about 5 minutes, and then rinse your body with cool water.
  4. Follow the treatment with a shower using a gentle body cleanser, and then apply a moisturizer.

Dead Sea Salt Body Scrub Tips

  • The essential oil can be omitted if desired, though the scrub will be more effective if you add a few drops of oil that compliments your skin type. Try lavender or rosemary for dry skin, neroli or rose for normal skin, and cypress or lemon for oily skin.
  • Never use a body scrub made with salt on broken skin or open wounds, or you’ll experience painful stinging sensations. Avoid using just after shaving.
  • Always follow the treatment by thoroughly cleansing and moisturizing the skin. For the best results, rinse the skin first with warm water.
  • Store any leftover body scrub in an airtight container and place in a cool, dry place when not in use.