With all the concern about the economy and personal budgets these days everyone is looking for ways to save money and cut costs. One of the largest investments is your home is that high quality carpet. Caring for it properly will extend its life and looks and save you money in the long run. Here are 8 carpet care tips to help you keep those carpets looking great.
1. Keep door mats at all entrances to your home. Much of the dirt that gets collected in your carpet is dirt that is carried in from the outside. By placing a door mat both inside and outside every entrance to your home you can reduce the dirt that is being tracked through the house and onto your carpet. Make sure that you clean these mats daily to prevent them from putting dirt back on the soles of your shoes.
2. Take off your shoes. While you may feel a little uncomfortable asking guests to remove their shoes when entering your home. Family members should be trained to remove their shoes upon entering the house thus reducing the amount of dirt that can be transported to the carpet.
3. Clean up damp spots and spilled liquids and foods immediately or as soon as possible. Blot up all spills on your carpet as soon as possible. Never rub a damp spot on your carpet as that may simply grind the stain and dirt deeper into the fibers. Instead spray with clear warm water and blot with a clean white rag. Repeat as often as necessary to soak loose and remove the stain. Drying the spot with a fan will help to prevent dirt from sticking to the damp spot. Using this carpet care tip can extend the length of time between carpet steam cleanings.
4. Use blinds and shades to keep your carpet from being subjected to long periods of sunlight that can fade it's color.
5. Use area rugs to help protect high trafficked areas and add to the overall charm of your room. Make sure that you clean your area rugs regular and vacuum under the rugs to keep the carpets nap looking good.
6. Rearrange your room periodically to keep heavy furniture from making permanent dents in your carpet and keep your carpet from getting uneven wear.
7. Probably one of the best carpet care tips is to give your carpet a good vacuuming three times a week or more with a good quality vacuum cleaner. Vacuuming removals dirt and dust that can wear on your carpet threads as well as removes pet hair, string and other items that make your carpet look dingy. By vacuuming in a north / south direction and then in an east / west direction you keep your carpets nap looking fluffy and bright.
8. Have your carpet steam cleaned at least once per year. Steam cleaning removes dirt and dust that hides deep in your carpet as well as freshens it's smell and gives it a brighter appearance. You can choose to have your carpets professionally cleaned or choose to clean them yourself with a high quality steam cleaner.
By following these carpeting care tips you prolong the life of your carpet and keep it looking good for years to come.