As one of the lifting equipment in plant site, forklift should receive adequate attention especially about its safety. Various potential hazards are associated with forklift operation. Complete check before forklift operation will ensure not only forklift driver safety, but also other employees and company assets.
A forklift safety checklist will help ensuring its safety condition. It will help you identify any problem and potential problem with forklift. Having forklift safety checklist is essential and it will be provided within your plant site.
Questions in the safety checklist should be answered with Yes or No and complete with a comment or comment if the answer is No.
- Name of workplace
- Division / Department / Section
- Running location
- Identification of forklift
- Work description (brief)
- Is the operating area completely separated from walkers?
- Are there clear and sufficient safety signs which warn walkers against forklift?
- Are walker pathway and zebra crossings granted?
- Are workers completely prohibited to cross forklift pathway?
- Are mirrors presented at the entire blind spots?
- Are modifications to the operating area and any other workplace design informed to related related workers?
Forklift part check
- Does the forklift specification meet the operating requirement?
- Is clear forklift load chart provided?
- Is seat belt provided?
- Does the maximum speed controlled?
- Do horn, reversing beeper, proxy indicator and flashing light function properly?
- Is falling object protective structure of FOPS provided on the forklift?
- Are the maintenance performed regularly?
- Are forklift maintenance and repair records maintained?
- Is there enough fuel inside forklift?
- Is forklift battery charged?
- Are the forklift tires fully inflated?
- Are the tires pressure sufficient and safe?
- Are the tires in good conditions?
- Do the forklift brakes work?
- Is the steering work well?
- Does the gear control work?
- Are the left and right mirrors available and clear?
- Do all indicators and gauges function properly?
- Are there any liquid leaks from the forklift?
- Are fuel, oil, hydraulic fluid and coolant levels enough?
- Is portable fire extinguisher fitted on the forklift?
- Is wearing hard hat a must for forklift operators?
- Have other personal protective equipment such as eye goggles, ear plugs and safety shoes to be worn?
Forklift Operators / Drivers
- Do forklift operators or drivers have forklift driving license or forklift certificate?
- Does the driver understand the load chart?
- Are appropriate training provided?
- Have forklift drivers been given related training?
- Do the drivers know exactly the work layout in the plant site?
- Do forklift drivers follow the pathways correctly?
- Are forklift drivers or operators in good health?
- Does the forklift driver know the maximum speed?
- Are there speed limits for powered equipment on site?
- Are there appropriate traffic management plans at the plant site to prevent collision of forklifts with people and other mobile equipment by separating them in time or space?
- Are all safety procedures related to forklift inspection, operation, clean up and maintenance established, maintained and communicated to related workers?
- Does monitoring and supervision system for ensuring all safety procedures implementation work?
- Do work schedules remove completely the necessity for extreme forklift speed?
- Are uncertified drivers allowed to operate forklift?
- Is loads checkinging always performed for stability to guarantee they are not dislocated from the forklift during loading, traveling and unloading?
- Is load weight always checked before loading to avoid overloaded?
- Is load always lowered prior to the forklift being in motion?
- Is safe distance from the edge of ramps, docks, drains, gutters, floor openings and any other opening and obstacles established to prevent forklift accident?
- Are every ramp or dock edges guarded and visibly marked?
- Is it allowed to lift workers using forklift to do certain job?
- Is it allowed to use forklift for doing other jobs instead of lifting?
- Is the procedure for the safe battery charging or fuel filling established?
Countermeasures and follow up are required before the forklift can be used; if there is at least one answer 'NO' to any of these questions in the safety checklist. They have to be completed to ensure forklift safety.