A Harry Potter party is ideal for boys or girls, ages 6 – 9. You'll find ideas for Harry Potter invitations, games, crafts, food and decorations. Mix and match … make the party work for you!
Total Cost: less than $ 50 (unless you hire a professional magician)
Crystal Ball Invitations:
- Use an old CD & write – PREDICTION – A HARRY POTTER PARTY.
- Using purple cardstock cut-out a base for your "crystal ball".
- Write the details of the party on the base.
Harry Potter Games – The Sorting Hat:
- As the children arrive at the party, let them put the sorting hat on and reach into a bowl to choose their house (Gryffindor, Slytherin, Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff). The house will become their team for the party. The sorting hat can be made by forming a piece of black poster board into a cone and adding stars for decorations.
- The houses will rotate to Quidditch, Potions and Spells during the party. If you have less than 12 party guests, the children can go as 1 group to all the stations.
Quidditch – Harry Potter Game:
- Quidditch rules are very complex, so I've created a simplified version for your party … it's more like a combination of hide and seek and tag.
- Two houses will go to this station together.
- A large wooded area is ideal for this Harry Potter game.
- One person is "it" – also known as the Golden Snitch. The Golden Snitch should be an adult.
- The Golden Snitch will have a small rubber ball spray painted gold attached to their body with a flag from flag football.
- Both teams mount their brooms and try to capture the golden snitch. They must always be on their brooms.
- The team that captures the Golden Snitch wins!
- Let the children create an explosion! Simply put 1 tablespoon of baking soda in a cup, and then slowly add vinegar.
- Harry Potter craft – make a wand! Give each child a 1 foot, 1/2 "round dowel, and let them decorate it by gluing ribbons, glitter and feathers.
- Have a magician or parent teach a magic trick or two.
Harry Potter Movie
- If your party is indoors or is a sleepover … make time to watch a Harry Potter movie – complete with popcorn & jelly beans!
Harry Potter Party Food – Harry Potter Recipes
- In addition to the cake, let the children frost & decorate an ice cream cone to look like a wizards hat. Make different colors of frosting and have lots of different spinkles.
- Serve Punch from the Swamp in a cauldron!
- Recipe for Punch from the Swamp:
- 2 liter bottle of Sprite or Seven-Up
- 1 large bottle of white grape juice
- 1, 12 oz. can frozen limeade concentrate
- Green food coloring … add a drop or two to get the desired swamp color!
- Mix all and chill.
- Add 1 package of gummy worms when serving.
- jelly beans
- small magic kit
- Harry Potter lightening bolt removable tattoo
- We had my son's Harry Potter outdoors in the woods, & the natural setting was ideal & FREE!
- If you're hosting your party indoors … many of your Halloween decorations will work. Do not waste money at the party store on themed decorations!
- Black crepe paper streamers hung in doorways are very effective!