The Plank is one of the most effective exercises for working towards a flat stomach and revealing your six-pack abs.
Not only does it strengthen the abdominal muscles, but also works the back and the hips. The Plank stomach exercise method requires no special equipment or exercise machines. All you need is the floor and your body.
Here is the proper way to perform The Plank:
- Lie face down on the floor or on an exercise mat.
- Place your forearms and elbows underneath your chest with your palms flat on the floor.
- Push up off the ground onto your toes and resting on your forearms.
- Focus on tightening the abdominals while in the position.
- Keep your back in a straight line from head to heads and do not allow your hips to sag down towards the ground.
- Hold this position until you can no longer keep your body in a straight line.
- Bring your body back down to the starting position.
- Start with trying to aim for 20 seconds and do 3 sets.
Continue the exercise and try and work up to 30, 45, 60 seconds and beyond.
Things to remember when doing The Plank:
Remember to not let your hips and back sag. This exercise will only be effective if you work to maintain a flat line from your head to your heels. Once you become more advanced at this exercise you can leg lift, side arm lift, or perform the exercise on your hands instead of elbows.
This is the first post in the Flat Stomach Blog's 30 Abs Exercises In 30 Days Series.