A flat screen TV with hidden wires looks great, but it is a bit of an art form to get your TV successfully mounted so that no wires are showing. You can use the outside of the wall system, where you buy color coded wires that match the wall. However, most people want the cables completely hidden and out of view. Here are a few things that you can do to make sure that your TV wall mount appears wire free.
1. Before you begin the installation process make sure that the particular wall where you want to place your TV is suitable for hiding wires. It should be an interior wall made of drywall, and should also have limited amounts of insulation.
2. Place small holes in the precise location or you can use a template provided by the wall plate manufacturer where you want to the wires to enter and exit. The holes should only be big enough for the wire to fit through; however be careful not to cut the holes too small. This often times leads people to try and “squeeze” wires into the wall, which can damage the wall further.
3. Get covers for where the wires enter and exit the wall. This keeps your wall from being damaged any further, and is also an excellent safety prevention measure for small children.
4. Measure the distance from the back of your television to any AV systems or gaming systems that you have. You want to make sure that your TV is at the right height for a wall mount, meaning that the cables reach from the back of the TV to the floor.
5. Hire an electrician to install a recessed plug right behind your TV wall mount. You do not want to run the power wire through the wall, so you either need to do this step or have one wire exposed.
6. Find the most direct route from the back of the television to the floor, and run the wires to the proper locations through the previously cut holes. Congratulations! Now you are ready to view your flat panel TV with no wires hanging from your TV wall mount.