If you are scratching your head on how to landscape a large yard, this article will offer a step-by-step approach towards designing and building your dream yard regardless of its size. But take note that some tips here may not be applicable to you since the climate and soil conditions of your front and backyard may be different.
1. Start planning the project. As usual, you need to decide how many hours and how much is your budget. Take a look at the designs that you desire to have. Magazines, online sites or even your neighborhood are some places to start looking. Landscaping a large yard can be a lot easier if you already have a good idea of what you want.
2. Draft the entire layout of your yard detailing the lawn area, location of trees, fixtures, stone pavements etc. The more detailed it is, the better it is.
3. Indicate topographical lines to indicate slopes, rocky areas etc that are not flat.
4. Think about how you want to landscape your large yard on the overall. First, plan your lawn area. If you have children, you may want to set aside space for a playground. Those who wish to have a vegetable garden should also set aside land for it. Take note that wetlands, rocky terrains and low places are not suitable for lawn as the grasses do not grow well. Areas that are shielded from the sun, for example below a huge tree is suitable for a patio, bench or swing. Do not grow anything there.
5. You may wish to level the sloping areas, ie cut back or backfill parts that are depressed. In any case, you need o have a good idea of how much soil you are going to remove and fill. This allows you to know how many truckloads of soil you need to purchase or dispose of. Talk to the truck or trailer company you are hiring.
6. Visit the local nursery and speak with the experts. With your plan in hand and an estimated budget, request them for a design if you are going to hire them to landscape your large yard. If you plan to do it yourself, there is no harm in asking them for their recommendations and suggestions of the type of green suitable for your yard. It could be fruit trees, nut trees, shrubs and bushes. Pecan trees, blueberries, grapevines, berry shrubs etc are often suitable for the southern climate.
7. Lay out and install irrigation piping, set up the electric conduits for power supply to the patio and landscape lighting. If you are planning to have a manmade pond, then pumps are necessary.
8. Once you have planted your flower beds and permanent landscape fixtures like lightings, patio, barbecue pits, stone
9. If you are planning a mini vegetable garden, make use of the corners of the boundary fence to optimize space. Set up a garden netting about 1 to 2 feet away the fence for planting beans and peas. Make sure this is at a distance away from your playground to protect these vegetables from trampling.
10. Lay the layer of lawn grass and water them. Now, you have the complete steps to landscape a large yard.