Forklift technology has improved much over the last few years and maintaining a forklift pays off pretty well nowadays. However, although companies are buying and bringing into operation the forklifts, most of them are ignoring the human aspect i.e. the workers operating forklift is not getting properly trained. As the human handling is the final key of proper forklift use and utilization, untrained or half-trained operators are decreasing the output. The companies which manipulate large inventories and fast turnaround, training of the forklift operators is an issue which must be addressed without any delay.
There are several reasons why one should train a forklift operator properly.
1. Time saving: Skilled and trained workers can move heavy inventory pretty fast, thus saving time and increasing productivity and maximizing work done per man-hour. This is one single but sufficient reason to get them trained.
2. Reduced risk of accident: Accident count related to forklift is on a sharp rise and unskilled operators are only adding to it. Any accident is unfortunate and should be avoided at any cost. Tutoring your operators is the first step in this direction as they will be handling the forklifts in an efficient way and reduces the accidental chance of anyone getting hurt. This also will add to the company’s reputation.
3. Lower inventory loss: If not any accident as of yet, you must have lost some inventories due to wrong handling of materials by the forklift worker. The losses may be not of much worth but accumulated loss will be much higher than the cost of getting your operators trained.
4. Better maintenance of forklift machines: When trained, they are also trained to maintain the machines and keep them running at the top form. This reduces the repair cost and maintenance cost. Also there is a lesser chance that the forklift will break down during any important operation.
5. Increased productivity: Properly trained operator can improve the overall productivity of your company which helps the company to stay competitive in this fierce competition. It also helps if the company is looking for some expansion.
6. Lesser chance of machine damage: Properly trained operators also ensure that machines are not damaged due to mishandling. It may cost the company a huge amount of money to get the damaged forklifts repaired.
7. Improved confidence level of the operators: when trained properly the forklift workers feel much more confident than before and also display signs of happiness and satisfaction. Many companies take pride in having an array of expert and trained forklift operators.
There are many companies using forklifts in Canada who will surely be willing to get the operators trained.