The final days of summer are winding down. Before you know it, the leaves will be changing colors, the kids will be heading back to school, and pumpkin patches will be sprouting up. The endless summer days filled with cloudless skies perfect for off-roading will soon fade into misty, overcast mornings and cool, crisp evenings. It’s important to realize that the change of weather will have an effect on your Jeep.
Jeep tops are basically an essential component for any Jeep once the colder weather starts to sink in. Not only will you want to avoid shivering when that sharp, cold wind hits your skin, but you want to protect the integrity of your Jeep from the harsher, unpredictable weather. Of course depending on where you live, the change from summer to fall can be a gradual progression or a very sudden shift. Not all environments will need the same type of Jeep top. Thankfully, there are a variety of Jeep tops available that range from just a little extra protection to complete coverage.
Bikini & Brief Jeep Tops
As the leaves become brittle and begin to fall from their precarious perches, the last place you want them to land is the interior of your Jeep. But if you’re ever forced to park under a tree and don’t have the protection of a Jeep top, the cab can rapidly fill up with this suddenly annoying foliage. Bikini and Brief Jeep tops will keep them out, and provide a number of other benefits.
- Provide basic overhead coverage from leaves and other debris.
- Act as a sunshade against the lingering summer rays
- One of the cheapest and simplest available
- Best for environments where the weather stays pretty steady and you just need a small amount of protection.
Windjammer & Duster Jeep Tops
As you’re driving your Jeep to work one morning, you suddenly notice what was once a cool breeze wafting across your face is now a biting wind that feels like it’s cutting into your cheeks. Bikini and Brief Jeep tops don’t have the side panels to protect you, which is where Windjammers and Dusters come in.
- As their names suggest, they will protect you from wind in addition to any overhead leaves and debris.
- Are more effective at keeping out rain
- Slightly pricier but still on the more affordable side
- Best for environments where you’ll see a slow progression from summer to fall to winter.
Jeep Soft Tops
These are the ultimate fall Jeep tops. Not only are they made from heavy-duty fabric that will protect you against cold wind and rain, but they are also incredibly easy to remove in just a few minutes so you can still take advantage of those last few sunny days. Plus, they’ll last for years to come.
- Marine-grade fabric will be long-lasting and won’t stretch out from changes in temperature
- Will protect you and the interior of your Jeep on all sides
- If you live in a mild climate where the weather remains fairly consistent year-round, these are perfect because you won’t ever need more protection than this.
Jeep Hard Tops
Even though winter is still months away, don’t waste your money on a Jeep top that will be great for fall but fail you once winter hits. If you know that you live in an environment where you’ll eventually have to deal with snow, it’s not practical to consider Jeep tops that are only good to you a few months out of the year. Look to hard Jeep tops instead.
- The solid material provides the ultimate protection
- Include a lot of optional features, like rear window defrosters and dome lights, to make for a more comfortable ride
- Best for the harshest climates, as they will stand up to pounds upon pounds of snow
With so many types of Jeep tops on the market, it’s not difficult to see that there’s a Jeep top for everyone’s environment and needs. Now you can welcome the colder seasons feeling confident that with your new Jeep top, you will be prepared and your Jeep will be protected.