Kitchen Safety – How to Avoid Being Electrocuted in the Kitchen

The kitchen is the room in the house where you are most likely to be electrocuted. This article looks at the ways you can improve safety in the kitchen by reducing the chances of being electrocuted. We will look at wiring, sockets, using appliances safely and what to do if you drop a live appliance into the kitchen sink. By following this advice you should be able to significantly reduce the chances of being electrocuted in the kitchen.

If you have flickering oven lights, a food mixer that slows down when you switch something else on or overloaded sockets bristling with extension plugs then your electrical wiring needs looking at. You should get an electrician to come around and check the wiring and if necessary install extra sockets. If possible, any extra sockets fitted should be fitted with a circuit breaker.

One reason why the kitchen is such a high risk area of electrocution in the home is that it is an area which contains both electricity and water. Using appliances such as hand held electric mixers and blenders should be done as far away from the kitchen sink as possible. If an electrical appliance should fall into the sink it could electrocute somebody, even if it is switched off at the time. This could produce fatal results. But what do you do if it does happen?

If an electrical appliance is dropped into water the first thing you should do is make sure your hands are dry and switch the device off at the mains. Unplug the appliance from the socket before attempting to lift it out of the water. On no account think that because it is switched off or switched off at the socket that it is safe. Always switch off and unplug it from the wall before touching it.

To conclude, I hope you have found this article to be useful and that it has increased your awareness of the dangers of electrocution in the kitchen and the ways in which you can help to reduce them.