Give me 30 minutes and I will tell you about the best exercises for obliques and love handles. In fact, these exercises are good not only for persons with potbellies, but also for bodybuilders. It is because these exercises strengthen the midsection or core area. They also provide balance and flexibility to your body.
The exercises are plank, its variations, and crunches and their variations.
Plank or Isometric Exercises
This type of exercises aim to hold a position for as long as possible. Planks are especially helpful for abdominals, including obliques. These exercises will improve balance.
How to perform planks
Lie flat on your face. Balance your weight on your forearms and toes. Keep your body in a straight line. Hold the position for 20 to 30 seconds.
1. Pull your belly button as close to your spine as possible while assuming the plank position.
2. Half plank – This is a slight modification of plank. You balance your weight on your knees instead of your toes. This will minimize the shaking you experience while practicing plank for the first time.
3. Side plank – Keep your right elbow and forearm firmly on the ground. Raise your body and keep it in a straight line for 20-30 seconds. Your right forearm and right foot touch the ground. Keep left arm spread straight up for balance. Repeat the exercise on your left.
All these plank exercises among the best oblique exercises, which also work for muscles of stomach and back.
The Basic Crunch – Lie down on your back, with knees bend and feet firmly on ground. Keep your hands on either side of your head. Raise your shoulders and bring your head towards the knees. Do not pull your head with your hands.
1. Bicycle crunch – This is one of the best abdominal exercises, which will also work the obliques. You perform bicycle-pedaling action by moving your right knee to left elbow and left knee to right elbow in a synchronized motion.
2. Side crunches – They are also among the best oblique exercise routines, although they don’t erase your love-handle instantly. Assume the starting position of basic crunch. Then turn both knees to one side. Then lift your shoulders and bring them towards the knees. Make sure you do not pull your neck or head with your hands.
Obliques are muscles well below your skin and fat. It takes many months’ training of these oblique exercises before you can start seeing results.