There are a number of legal issues that can be settled by lawyers who are experts in real estate law. Among these, the following are some of the most popular:
- Real estate purchase and sales – lawyers that are experts in this field of law can provide legal services to sellers, buyers, and brokers relating issues related to the purchase and sale of real estate property. They can help specifically on contract negotations related to purchases and sales of land, office building, apartment complexes, tax issues, etc.
- Litigation – you can also avail services on dispute resolution including litigation, restructuring financial commitments, loan participation, recovery of secured or unsecured assets. Other issues that you can settle with your lawyer are rescission and other fraud / mistake claims.
- Commercial leasing – clients who need representations for all types of commercial leasing transactions can also avail such services from a real estate lawyer or firm. Services could cover negotiation and drafting real and personal property leases and other types of leases such as office, industrial, warehouse space, leverage leases, and the like.
- Title issues – when it comes to title issues, a lawyer can help you in reviewing a title commitment. He can also give legal advice about considerations you need to take into account before closing a deal. Such considerations could include legal access to public road, document evaluations / issues such as matters visible on the property but not reflected in written documents, easements affecting property, encroachments, current owner identity valuations, leases, liens and taxes, mineral interests, restrictive covenants , etc.
- Easement and license disputes – you can also be helped when it comes to easement issues, including right of way for access, water supply, electricity transmission, drainage or sewerage reticulation, etc. They can also work to settle license issues.
- Broker and agent commission disputes – this is one of the most common issues that a person in the real estate 'arena' encounters. A lawyer that is expert in this field can help you settle issues such as owner-broker conflicts as well as broker-agents commission disputes.
'Finding a good lawyer'
With so many real estate law firms in town, it could be difficult for you to find one that provides highly qualified lawyers that can represent you in settling legal issues. However, by employing the right criteria, you can certainly find one. Taking the following considerations can help: positive reviews, the number of cases won, testimonials from previous and current clients, the length of time in service.