Today, solar energy is an ideal power source for both business owners and home owners. It is clean, safe and economical. As we all know, global warming is getting worse and solar energy can be the best alternative for fossil fuel. One way of utilizing solar energy is by using solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity. Now, you can learn how to make a solar panel for your home.
To cut your electricity bill, you can install a solar power generator on your home. This power system is an excellent and safe power source. But before building one, it is essential for you to learn how to make a solar panel. Below are the steps for assembling your own panel:
1. You can begin by gathering the tools and materials that you need. Some tools that you will need include saw, paint brush, wire cutter, screwdriver, soldering iron/gun, caulking gun, volt meter, rosin flux pen, and plexiglass cutter drill. Meanwhile, you will also need materials like plywood sheeting, soldering filler, solar cells, tin wire, UV-ray protective varnish, silicon caulk, and plexiglass. You can purchase them from a home improvement store near your home or order them online.
2. Determine the amount of power that you expect from each solar panel. If you live in an area that does not get enough sunlight, you surely need to put more solar cells. Then, you have to prepare the panels. Cut the plywood to fit the solar cells that you are going to place on each panel.
3. Next, apply the UV-ray protective varnish using a paintbrush. The varnish needs some time to dry and you can work on the solar cells while you are waiting for it to dry.
4. Apply the flux to the bus strips on the solar cells using the rosin flux pen. You need to do this to ensure that your tab ribbons on the solar cells will adhere well and the wiring will be connected properly. After that, you can connect the solar cells to each other.
5. Now, you can add silicon caulk to the plywood panels. Two unattached wires will be hung from the connected solar cells and you need to drill two holes in the plywood. Feed the wires through the holes.
6. Create a frame for each panel since you need to cover your solar cells using plexiglass. You can attach the frame to the plywood using silicon caulk and screws. After that, secure the plexiglass to the frame.
7. After completing the assembly, check your solar panels for gaps. Gaps will cause moisture to penetrate and you should seal them with the silicon. To avoid moisture accumulation, drill a small hole near the bottom of the panel, away from the wiring.
Learning how to make a solar panel is interesting and fun. With enough tools and materials as well as basic carpentry skills, you can easily build your own solar power system.