Your pool table light must be hung properly to ensure full illumination of your billiard playing area including the rails, cushions and guide point arrows. The average height of your billiard lamp should be 32″ to 36″ above the playing surface or bed of your table to the bottom of your lamp shade. A general method of determining billiard light height is to have your billiard lamp level with the bridge of your nose. Also when your adjusting the height of your billiard lamp turn off any other lights in the room and adjust the light so there are no shadows on your table.
Instructions For Hanging Your Billiard Light:
1. You must find the Center of your table’s Playing Area which is the length and width of the pool table bed only, not the rails. Here are the standard playing areas of billiard tables:
Billiard Table Size
6′ x 3′ table has a playing area of L 66″ x W 33″
7′ x 3’6″ table has a playing area of L 78″ x W 39″
8′ x 4 ‘ table has a playing area of L 88″ x W 44″
8′ x 4 ‘ (oversized) table has a playing area of L 92″ x W 46″
9′ x 4’6″ table has a playing area of L 100″ x W 50″
10′ x 5′ table has a playing area of L 112″ x W 56″
12′ x 6′ table has a playing area of L 124″ x W 62″
2. Next place a small piece of masking tape on the center of your tables playing area. For example: If you have a 9′ x 4’6″ billiard table your playing area is L100″ x W 50″. Now take your tape measure (which should be flush against the inside head rail) and use your middle diamond on the rail as a guide and measure in L 50″ and tick with a small piece of tape and measure the width which should be W25″ and that will give you the center of your tables playing area.
3. Now that you have the center of your billiard table marked with a small piece of masking tape, hold a plumb line from the ceiling and align it to the center of your tables playing area and mark your ceiling when the plumb line is aligned with your pool table center. You can buy a plumb line at any hardware store.
Pool table lights are fairly heavy and the ceiling mounts or hooks should be screwed into a ceiling stud. Use a stud finder to locate your ceiling studs. If a stud is not available you can fasten your billiard light using strong drywall fasteners such as a Toggle Bolt.
4. Measure the distance from the center of your billiard light to the center of the chain on both sides of your billiard light and mark these measurements on your ceiling. This is where our hooks will be screwed into the ceiling. Run your plumb line again to ensure your ceiling marks are aligned and centered to your billiard light.
5. Pre-drill a hole or two holes (if it is a two chain mount) into the stud/studs or drywall. Drill size Tip: A quick technique is to hold a drill bit up to the shank of the mounting screw. The proper drill bit size is the same size as the shank between the threads of your mounting screw. Screw the mounting hooks securely into your pre-drilled holes.
Note: If you need to stand on your billiard table bed to install your light, place a piece of dense foam or a thick blanket on your pool table bed to protect the felt.
6. Count the chain links on both sides to ensure your billiard lamp is level. Once mounted you can adjust your billiard light height for proper illumination of your billiard table. That’s It!
TOOLS NEEDED: Ladder, Measuring Tape, Plumb Line, Small Hand Drill, Screwdriver, Possibly a toggle bolt, Masking Tape and a pencil.