The great majorities of the people who start working out and make their first contacts with bodybuilding are motivated from some picture or video showing some professional bodybuilder posing his monstrous muscles. There is nothing wrong with that as long as we understand that before starting to pump up our muscles, we have to build up our strength level.
In order to gain volume working with heavy lifts is essential, so increasing your strength makes it easier to grab the heaviest dumbbells or a full loaded barbell. Strength training routines most of the times will not give you this muscle pumped feeling volume routines do.
Nevertheless, alternating your workout routines between volume and strength is the keystone for maximum results.
So let me introduce to you one of my favorite strength training muscle routines:
Day One Chest-Arms:
1) Bench Press, three sets of 12, 10 and 8 reps increasing weight after each set.
2) Dumbbell flies, four sets 12, 10, 8, 6 reps.
3) Peck deck machine, four sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 reps.
4) Push ups, four sets x 15 reps.
5) Super Set-Close grip bench press (triceps) & Barbell curls (biceps), three sets x 8-10 reps.
6) Super Set-Cable press downs (triceps) & alternate dumbbell curls, three sets x 8-10 reps.
Day Two Legs-Shoulders:
1) Leg extension, three sets of 10, 8, 6 reps with maximum weight.
2) Squat seats, three sets of 10, 8, 6 reps.
3) Leg curl machine, three sets x 10 reps.
4) Smith machine shoulder press, four sets of 12, 10, 8, 6 reps increasing weight after each set.
5) Cable pulls, four sets x 12 reps
Day Three Back-Arms:
1) Bent over barbell row, four sets of 12, 10, 8, 6, reps.
2) Lat pull downs, three sets of 12, 10, 8 reps.
3) One arm dumbbell rows, three sets of 12, 10, 8 reps.
4) Dumbbell pull over, three sets of 12, 10, 8 reps.
5) Super Set-Seated bar extensions (triceps) & hammer curls (biceps) three sets x 10.
6) Super Set-Cable press reverse grip (triceps) & preacher curls (biceps) three sets x 10.
Try to focus on this strength training routine for 6 to seven weeks, and you will be increasing your strength to a higher level. And remember to pay attention on your nutrition.
Keep up the good work. We will be back with more!