Our focus remains on the interior of a building, and we often forget about the exterior. The most important exterior structure of a building is its roofing. However, the costliest roofing system does not always mean that it is of the best quality. It is vital for you to know the various types of roofing systems and, find out the one that will suit your requirements.
Building construction mostly follows the two major categories of roofing systems:
- Residential roofing
- Commercial roofing
You can divide these two categories into sub-categories based primarily on the materials used in the process:
Roofing in a house considers the weather conditions of the place. The culture of some countries also play an influence. There are four main types of residential roofing systems to keep in mind.
1. Shingle Roofing – Shingle roof is the most common type that is in use today. It is the least expensive material. Asphalt shingleles have replaced wood shingles over the past decade, as the former is more fire-resistant than the latter. The coating of asphalt shingle roof is with ceramic granules. This makes them resistant to the harmful UV rays of the sun. It lasts up to 20 to 30 years.
2. Metal Roofing – Metal roof is famous for its high durability. It lasts for around 50 years. It requires minimal maintenance and is fire-resistant. It costs more than the shingle roof.
3. Tile Roofing – Concrete or clay is the main constituent of tile roofing. It looks extremely fashionable, and is available in a variety of colors and shapes. It appears in the stylish villas of the Mediterranean and Spanish areas. It is hardy and fire-resistant. However, its heavy weight sometimes proves to act as its drawback.
4. Slate Roofing – Slate is the costliest material. It is durable, and lasts for a long time. It is resistant to fire, rain and insects. It forms a part of some lavish and aristocratic buildings. However, like tile roof, it is also very heavy in weight.
Residential roofing materials are common in commercial buildings. However, commercial buildings are trying to bring in something new and more efficient. These four main types of commercial roofing systems have gained rapid popularity –
1. Thermoplastic Roofing – Thermoplastic or TPO roof is very effective in high temperatures. It is efficient in preventing harmful ultraviolet rays. It is also good at protecting from ozone and chemical exposure.
2. EPDM Roofing – EPDM is easier to install and repair than any other types. It is also simple to keep up. It is versatile and has a very high durability.
3. Photovoltaic Roofing – Existing rooftops have solar panels installed over them. These solar panels absorb sunlight and use the energy to run the building. This is an extremely efficient method in lowering down the electricity bills.
4. Green Roofing – Soil and vegetation covers a flat roof either partially or completely. The entire patch has a waterproofing membrane underneath. This process not only lowers down the heating and cooling bills; but also increases the lifespan of the roof.