Tools You Need for Installing Drywall Panels

  • Screw gun

If you have seen a power drill, a screw gun is closely similar to it. However, screw guns are made specifically for screws and are most commonly used in installing drywall panels. There are again two basic types of screw gun. First is the screw gun which is designed solely for drywall installing and the other one is the type which is designed for general construction purposes.

Screw guns used for drywall panels operate at 4000 RPM which runs faster than the second type of screw gun which only uses 2000 RPM. These are made to properly screw your drywall panels using drywall screws and should be considered a worthwhile investment.

  • Drywall saw

A keyhole saw is another small but very important tool in installing drywall panels. It is also called the drywall saw or the pad saw or alligator saw. It is a long slender saw which is very handy as its main purpose is cutting sheets of drywall. There are also two types of drywall saw. The first one is the fixed blade types and the second one is the retractable blade type.

Both retractable blade type and fixed blade drywall saws are commonly used in modern construction.

  • T-square

You will need the T-square when you need to draw a pattern in the drywall panels. T-squares are commonly used as technical drawing instrument by engineers or draftsmen. It is a “letter T” type ruler which is commonly made of aluminum. It comes with different sizes depending on the size of the drawing pattern you need.

  • Stepladder

You will need a stepladder when you install drywall on ceilings or edges of high walls. This will keep you safe while doing the precarious installing process. You must instruct your assistant to carefully hold the stepladder while you are climbing on it to prevent accidents.

  • Drywall flusher

These are made from stainless steel and are recommended tools to use in taping. They are available in different sizes namely 2″, 3″, 3.50″ and 4″. The Direct Flusher is connected to a “mud tube” which contains the mud solution will use to fill the corners before flushing them with the head.

There is a little opening that you will see in the flusher. That opening is the outlet for the mud that is being squeezed from the mud tube which you will then be flushing to the corners.

This tool is used when you are taping the drywall panels. The taping procedure is done after you install the drywall panels.

  • Drywall applicator

Drywall applicators are also tools for the taping procedure. You will be using it after you install all the drywall panels in the ceiling and walls. These are also made from aluminum steel (like a drywall flusher) and are used to evenly distribute the mud to the flat and curved surfaces of your panels.