Skimboarding is an enjoyable hobby that will bring you many hours of pleasure. This please is accentuated when you have the proper technique.
Please find below the top 10 skimboarding tips that will help you become more skilled at skimboarding.
1. Choosing the right skimboard method. You should match your skimboard method to the type of beach you skimboard on. For beaches with steep slopes use ‘wave skimboarding’ whereby you skim into the waves and ride them just like you would in surfing.
When you are on a flat beech with relatively benign waves use the sand skimming method in shallow water.
2. Use the appropriate skimboard. You have to match your board to the skimboard method you are using. This is your only contact with the water so it is essential you get the board right. The critical factor is board shape, much more so than the design or prices of the board. For sand skimming you should use a round skimboard that resembles a disk in shape. For wave skimming use an oblong board similar in shape to a mini surf board.
3. Mounting the board. You should move onto the board with momentum almost as if you are running onto the board. The board is more likely to move with you in the direction of your motion. If you were to just jump on the board, you are more likely to topple over.
4. Riding the waves. Use the ‘side slipping’ technique to get on the waves. As you are speeding across the water, tilt your board sideways with your feet facing out towards the ocean. You can slow down the rate of speed loss by carefully timing the ‘trimming’. When you near the wave, turn your skimboard around and ride the wave as per usual.
5. Wax your Board. By waxing your board you will increase the speed at which it travels over the water. This will decrease the friction between your board and the ocean and result in a swifter movement of your board.
6. Feet Position. Position your feet at the back of the board. This will maximize your balance and effectiveness.
7. Fit traction pads on a new board by using an alcohol solution. When you get a new board they tend to come in a high gloss finish. Determine the places where you want to fit traction pads and use an alcohol solution to de-gloss these areas. This will increase their ability to attach to the board giving your further peace of mind.
8. Putting traction pads back on: If the traction pads start to come off then you need to take immediate action. Apply super glue around the edges to prevent them from peeling further. You can use a hot hair dryer to remove the pads and then reattach them
9. Travelling with a skimboard. Protect your board from damage by purchasing a padded travel bag. You can wrap it in a towel or other padded material to further protect it. Airline will charge extra for carrying sports equipment so check out the prices in advance.
10. Skimboard Safety. You should take time and do adequate stretching before you hit the water. This enhances flexibility and mitigates injuries. Use sun screen and sun glasses to protect yourself from damaging UV rays.
There are many excellent resources for skimboarding tips, equipment reviews, video lessons and more online.