The resort village of Ruidoso, New Mexico has an unusually large number of all types of restaurants, galleries and shops. You can easily find a wide selection of foods, arts and gifts. There are also some great lesser known businesses and services available that the casual tourist may miss. Here are my top “Ten Best Kept Secrets About Ruidoso, New Mexico” to enhance your visit. We’ll use inverse order to build the suspense!
10. Disco Taco – Yes, we have the upscale Mexican Restaurants. If you want a margarita and to mingle with fellow travelers, forget Disco Taco. If you want good, down to earth Mexican food without a tourist atmosphere, check it out. On highway 70 in Ruidoso Downs.
9. Bad Chili – The phenomenon of the Ruidoso band Bad Chili keeps steaming along! Together only six months, the group is playing to packed houses all over town! Is it their music? Is it their style? Judge for yourself. Catch a serving of Bad Chili when you’re in Ruidoso.
8. Go Ruidoso – The official travel and tourism website or Ruidoso, New Mexico. Chock full of information on local events, business and the community Go Ruidoso can be a life saver when planning a vacation in Ruidoso. Check them out at Goruidoso.com.
7. Ruidoso Convention Center – Nestled in the sleepy little Village of Ruidoso sits the Ruidoso Convention Center. A first rate meeting facility, the convention center is adjacent to the world class Links at Sierra Blanca Golf Course and the Hawthorn Suites. Home to events of all sizes and types the convention center is the idea place to combine business with pleasure!
6. Lincoln County Grill – The grill really isn’t a secret, but many still haven’t tried their tasty and generous menu items. Breakfast is a treat and whatever happens remember this one simple fact about the grill…Chicken Fried Steaks!
5. Vacation Rentals – Accommodations of all types can fill up fast during peak periods in Ruidoso. Because rooms are in great demand, prices rise significantly for holidays and special events. One hedge against the high lodging prices are Ruidoso’s many vacation cabins, condos and home rentals. Private owners only in town for several weeks a year lease their properties out on a nightly basis. Frequently these offer amenities hotels don’t…private hot tubs, pool tables, putting greens, ski equipment racks and even boot warmers. All at a cost less that a room at an upscale area hotel!
4. Chester Fried Chicken – I don’t do fried chicken very often but when I do, Chester’s blows the colonel out of the water! Tender and flavorful, Chester’s is available for take out from the Ruidoso Lawrence Brothers IGA Grocery.
3. Weasel Productions – Weasel Productions is a Ruidoso hallmark in video production and photography. They feature the photographic skills of noted New Mexico photographer John T. Soden. John has been hailed by some as the “Ansel Adams of the mountain”! See his work in Ruidoso at the Hubbard Museum of the West and Josie’s Gallery and Framing. Sample the talent at http://www.weaselvideoproductions.com
2. The Club House – A small, comfortable lounge tucked away behind a gas station. Relax with a libation, visit with friends or watch their big screen TV. This favorite “watering hole” is located at the intersection of Mechem (Hwy 48) and White Mountains Drives.
Finally, the very best kept secret about Ruidoso…
1. Visiting Ruidoso, New Mexico … the Ruidoso blog!
Plan on exploring some of these rather unique Ruidoso attractions. You’ll have a great time discovering new favorites during your visit.