As children, there was nothing more fun than playing with that favorite ball. Unfortunately, we ever grow out of it and it finds its place in ball heaven to never be played with again. However, the end of childhood does not mean that a good old inflatable ball can not have a permanent place in our lives. In fact, there are inflatable balls that are made for adults to have fun with. And that would be the exercise ball.
The exercise ball is a great way for the individual to receive a workout of their core muscles, which are the muscles that keep us balanced. How this is achieved on the exercise ball is that certain exercises are conducted that require both the body and the bal to be balanced. The goal is to keep the ball from rolling out from underneath you and in the process you are receiving an excellent core workout.
There are a vast number of exercises that can be done, but there are 10 exercises that can be a lot of fun and those exercises are:
1. Squats: Hold the ball between your lower back and the wall. Slowly bend at your knees and hips in order to achieve a sitting position. Make sure the ball stays between you and the wall. Return to the standing position and repeat this between 8 and 15 times to strengthen the legs and hips.
2. Birddogs: You want to get on all fours like a dog with the exercise ball under your stomach. You are now going to extend an arm and a leg that are opposite from each other off of the floor at the same time and keep the ball balanced benefit you. Repeat this o 8 times for each side to strengthen arms and legs
3. Subpine Bridges: Have your hands on your hips while sitting on the ball and start walking. The ball should roll out until it gets to your head and your shoulders, then walk back to go back to the sitting position. Repeat this 8 to 15 times to strengthen the thighs and buttocks.
4. Pushups: Put the exercise ball underneath your stomach and have your palms flat on the floor. Walk out with your hands until the ball is somewhere between your hips and your ankles. Now bend your elbows to do pushups. Repeat this 8 to 10 times to work the upper arms
5. Abdominal tucks: Being in the same position as with pushups except with the ball under the knee, tuck the knees to make the ball roll toward the ankles and then return to the beginning position. Repeat 8 to 15 times.
6. Hamstring curls: This one requires you to lie on your back. With your palms flat on the floor, the ball should be under your hills. From here you will slowly bend your knees while lifting our hips to bring the ball towards your buttocks. Repeat 8 times.
7. Crunches: Crunches benefit the abdomen and the mid-back should be against the ball with feet shoulder-width apart flat on the floor. Your hands should also be behind your head and repeat 8 to 10 times.
8. Walk-outs: Walk back and forth with the ball under your belly, walking out with your hands until the ball reaches your ankles. Repeat 6 to 8 times for abs and upper arms.
9. Balance: Sit on the ball with hands on hips and spine straight and lift one foot at a time. Repeat with each leg 8 times to balance your core.
10. T, Y, I: This exercise has you placing the ball between the hips and thighs while keeping the knees bent and the toes down and moving the arms into a position, a Y position, and then an I. Repeat this 4 times to strengthen abdominals and shoulders.
These fun exercises using exercise balls are a great way for you to get in shape.