Your New Rigging Career Starts Here

Get started today on your new career as a rigger

The Australian construction Industry recognises that riggers make things happen, and a basic, intermediate or advanced rigging certification provides those who have been correctly trained, assessed and deemed competent, the necessary skills required to work safely and competently as a licensed rigger. There are a number of rigging courses offered in Australia, however as rigging work is classified as a ‘high risk work’ activity, the correct training and assessment must be undertaken before an industry recognised high risk work (HRW) licence for rigging can be attained.

Do I need a licence to perform rigging tasks?

To perform any high risk work, or operate any equipment or plant for a high risk work activity, a person must be the holder of a HRW licence issued by one of the State or Territory OHS Regulators. These licences are valid in every Australian state and territory, enabling workers to operate high risk equipment under consistent standards everywhere in Australia.

What training is required to attain a rigging qualification?

It is important to note that in Australia, individuals who want to perform rigging work are required to hold a dogging high risk work Licence before they can embark on any rigging training. Basic rigging training is the first step, and sound foundation to a successful rigging career. Completing the CPCCLRG3001A Licence to perform rigging basic level course will allow an individual to achieve an industry approved certification that will place them on a path to an exciting and rewarding career. The purpose of the basic rigging training is to provide the underpinning knowledge and skills to perform basic rigging tasks safely.

When competency for basic rigging has been achieved the natural progression is to complete training and assessment for the CPCCLRG3002A Licence to perform rigging intermediate level, which includes erection of pre-cast tilt slabs, erection of lattice boom cranes and dual crane lifts.

To conclude the rigging trifecta, those who have demonstrated competency for the latter can elect to proceed with the CPCCLRG4001A Licence to perform rigging advanced level.

The only way to obtain an accepted rigging licence

When researching rigging courses, one should be looking for a RTO who offers small class sizes, consequently offering quality training over quantity, and rigging training that meets Australian safety requirements, comprehensive lifting applications, the installation and use of equipment, hazard recognition and risk control methods, as well as height safety methods, all of which are only possible by using the latest rigging equipment and safety systems.

Who can provide the mandatory equipment and training

We suggest that you start by contacting a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) who has high risk work licences as part of their scope of training. Be aware that there are Registered Training Organisations (RTO’s) who will claim to offer the current National Units of Competency for rigging training and other high risk work activities. However there are now ‘NEW’ mandatory equipment and training requirements for training that reflects a ‘realistic’ work site environment that is also compliant for all ‘high risk work’ competencies. There are but a few who can claim to provide the mandatory required resources. Be sure to ask about training resources before you enrol.