Both lemons and lime are powerful therapeutic foods that a healthy diet should include on a daily basis. The major health benefits of eating fresh lemons and limes are:
- Alkalizing the digestive system
- Detox and cleansing of the body
- Increasing bile production in the liver
- Increasing activity in the urinary tract
- Decreasing constipation
- Anti carcinogenic effects
- Prevention of rheumatoid arthritis
Going beyond the daily use of lemons and limes for health, many people report powerful effects by following a lemon detox program. This kind of program involves using the nutritional power of lemons to shed weight and restore health.
Fresh lemons and limes do several things when it comes to helping the body detoxify.
- The juice of lemon or lime stimulates the liver to produce more bile. What this means on a practical level is that your liver will do a better and quicker job of processing toxins when you consume lemon juice.
- A concentrated amount of lemon juice will actually help to dissolve stones in the gallbladder. Eliminating gall stones goes a long way toward improving digestion and helping the body shed toxins.
- An active compound in lemons called "limonin" helps eliminate potentially cancer causing carcinogens on the cellular level. Limonin can also support the breakdown of mucous deposits in the intestines.
- Lemons also work to help to body eliminate intestinal parasites and even worms.
Why has to be fresh
The detoxifying and cleansing effects above only apply to the fresh juice of lemons and limes. That's because, if the juice has been pasteurized (which means that it's been heated to boiling) most of the phytonutrients and health properties have been destroyed.
How to use lemons to detox
There are several ways to use fresh lemons and juice in a cleansing and detoxification program.
- One way is to drink 1 tablespoon of lemon juice daily mixed into your water. This is best to do first thing in the morning when you rise as it both alkalizes the stomach and stimulates the liver.
- A second way to use lemons to cleanse is to rub the inside of lemon peels on your skin. This cleanses the pores.
- Probably the most well know way to detox with lemons is to try the "lemonade diet" or "Master Cleanse," which involves eating only a mixture of fresh lemon juice, cayenne, water and maple syrup for a given period of time. It is a very effective way to restore health.